Community Royale - A Clash Royale Community driven forum

[One and Only]Royal Hogs card discussion

VengeanceVengeance Posts: 1,403Member
edited June 2018 in Card Balance Discussion
So, you must've tested this still new card. What do you say about it? They seem weak to me as a win condition. Splashers like wizard can easily destroy them in a few hits, while single hitters like mini pekka or LJ struggles to do the same thing. Skarmy also counters them. Hog rider seems better than these piglets. Plus they cost 5 elixir, which is a lot.
Tell your opinions.
Royal Hogs
  1. What do you think about royal hogs?17 votes
    1. Balanced
      17.65%
    2. Overpowered
      11.76%
    3. Underpowered
      41.18%
    4. Dunno, haven't tested them enough.
      29.41%
  2. What change should royal hogs get?17 votes
    1. No change
      29.41%
    2. Buff them! They are toooo weak
      35.29%
    3. Too OP! NERF THEM TO DEATH!
      11.76%
    4. Improve their graphics.
      11.76%
    5. Make them eat so they become larger.
      11.76%
  3. What buff should they get?17 votes
    1. No buff, already OP/balanced.
      52.94%
    2. HP buff
      23.53%
    3. Hitspeed buff
        0.00%
    4. Damage buff
      11.76%
    5. Spawn formation change
      11.76%
  4. How do you react when you see royal hogs?17 votes
    1. They crush my tower!
      11.76%
    2. I like when someone uses new off-meta cards.
      23.53%
    3. I crush them easily!
      17.65%
    4. They are easy to defeat but can get you off guard!
      47.06%
  5. What criteria do they fit in?17 votes
    1. Win condition
      35.29%
    2. Win condition support (like inferno tower destroyer)
      47.06%
    3. They are useless! They fit in nothing.
      17.65%
YIoX9bC.jpg
Signature done by JcttehTheWise

Comments

• killerkiller Posts: 1,145Member
    I only used them in the challenge but I really liked them. I dont have the levels yet to use them outside the challenge. But I hope to use them in challenges soon,
    vouz81kqd95y.png
    Two decks:
    Ram/exe/miner/tornado/ggang/poison/log/goblins
    Rhogs/tesla/valk/musk/fireball/zap/ggang/bats
    Signature art by JcttehTheWise
  • TrainerWroyceTrainerWroyce Posts: 783Member
    I think the royal hogs, rather than being a win con, it’s more of a kite/bait unit for faster single target troops such as the prince. Let’s just see them as an improved, more expensive ice golem for now. The reason why they work better is first, they are faster meaning a charging prince or bandit is less unlikely to catch up with them, second, they come in swarms meaning it will be slightly harder to clear them all out.

The fact that they also create a moderate amount of threat which will likely make your opponent spend elixir on defending rather than further supporting their push can make it slightly easier to defend sometimes.
  • MasterCalMasterCal Posts: 2,276Moderator
    I'm not gonna pass judgement on the card until people get it appropriately leveled for ladder. I have faced zero royal hogs since the release, but then again I just really started playing since the update besides the challenge (which I did well in)
    pv7u5U6.jpg

CR Stats PB: 4609 KT: 12. Card lvls: Mostly 11 with some lvl 10 Rares and lvl 12 Commons 90/90 cards unlocked. IGN: Hardcase Royale.

BS Stats: 13 Brawlers. IGN: ΜαΣτεπςαλ

Please read the Forum Rules

Want to see if you are on the forum leaderboards? Post in this thread to see if you have enough to qualify.

Follow me on Twitter: @MasterCalCR. Discord: MasterCal #7507
    I played underlevelled royal hogs in a challenge and they did okay considering card disadvantage
    vouz81kqd95y.png
    Two decks:
  • 2Sage2Sage Posts: 32Member
    I thought they wrecked shop in the challenge. The way they deploy in a line you can send one at a building and the others at the tower. Yes, a splash unit is going to be a problem but people are going to throw spells at your wizard or skarmy in anticipation. The valk might be a problem but then again she might have to walk around to all of them because they don't all end up in the same place.
  • ferrell34ferrell34 Posts: 1,396Moderator
    Good card, it's like Hog Rider but can be used on both lanes and has a different way of countering it. A total opposite way.

I believe they fit in Spawner/ constant pressure applying decks.
    EarthThis signature is my city
    The biggest problem is they overbuffed valk (which I would argue is now OP) and in this meta its too easily countered
    Vengeance
    vouz81kqd95y.png
    Two decks:
    I’ve been using this royal hog deck at 3550 cups-
    Bats 10
    Spear gobs 10
    Tesla 10
    Zap 9
    Musketeer 8
    Fireball 8
    R hogs 7
    Lumberjack 1

This is a weird range to be in because imo its where the real buildup of horrible players starts. Here you can battle a decent lvl9 t-standard player and then next battle play a lvl12 player with 1-2 maxxed cards.

At any rate, despite sometimes being 1-2 lvls below other rare cards it seems to perform okay. All this being said, it has sooo many counters that are popular now for a 5 elixir card-
    Skarmy, valk, wiz, gob gang, megaknight, bomber, bowler... all decent counters which remain for counter attack. Even a lvl2 log (pretty common at this cuprange) will take each hogs health almost in half.

I think they are a little expensive. I am having fun with them and again, doing okay, but there are a lot of weak players here.

Long story short.... okay card, fun, a little too easy to counter for 5 elixir.
    MasterCal
    vouz81kqd95y.png
    Two decks:
  • VengeanceVengeance Posts: 1,403Member
    What I feel is that they are a more punishing form of hog rider. They can easily get through if opponent uses single hitters and can cause more damage. But they take 3-4x more damage from splashers which makes them balanced IMO. But they cannot be used for kiting because they run very fast and can jump over the river. They provide a good way to beat enemy buildings which are distracting your giant, pekka, golem, lv13 skeletons etc. But hog rider is more reliable for tower damage though.
    YIoX9bC.jpg
  • brainiacboybrainiacboy Posts: 532Member
    the royal hogs are actually very op, they can nearly rip out a tower with the amount of pigs.
    The Proud Real Madrid And Juventus Supporter
  • VengeanceVengeance Posts: 1,403Member
    the royal hogs are actually very op, they can nearly rip out a tower with the amount of pigs.
    You are missing the fact that any mid-high damge splasher with medium splash radius can easily kill them unharmed and be used to counterpush.
    YIoX9bC.jpg
  • MathChampMathChamp Posts: 1,720Moderator
    edited August 2018
    Royal hogs are a force in challenges right now due to the almost guaranteed damage on the tower and the lack of proper counters. It can be hard to get a huge counter push off the royal hogs if the opponent can defend well, and not having the right counter in hand can result in hundreds of damage to the tower. And with the nerf to one of it's biggest counters (valkyrie), it might have to be nerfed soon.

They sport the 11th highest winrate in classic challenges and grand challenges and are the number 1 win con in grand challenges. They are also in arguably the best deck right now with valkyrie, magic archer, zappies, etc.

The royal hogs lack proper counters right now, so buffing certain possible counters is the best option. Except that those counters would then become overpowered due to the fact they they have been buffed before. So, a slight haircut to damage (4%) would be the best path IMO.
    Currently subsiding in Forum All-Stars
    IGN: ++[SV]++ | Player Tag: J9V99CY | PB: 4422 | 88/88 Cards
    Card Collection Levels: 1 Lvl 12, 10 Lvl 11, 40 Lvl 10, 26 Lvl 9, 5 Lvl 8, 5 Lvl 7, 1 Lvl 6

Deck: PEKKA (12) - Giant (11) - Night Witch (10) - Musketeer (11) - Mega Minion (11) - Poison (11) - Zap (12) - The Log (10)
    math_menuitem.png
    "Thou shalt not divide by zero" (Calculus says differently)
    Have any burning questions for me? Ask them here!
    Can we admit they killed the royal hogs? Classic challenge use rate down to 1.1% and grand challenge use a barely better 1.7%. The card had started to make a presence on ladder (I use them) and they’re down to a barely noticeable .5% use. The 5th least used card in clash royale.

I really like the card and started using them immediately after release because it was a nice alternative to hog rider which the game really needed!. And now I might go back to hog. Now, royal hogs practically die to a fireball. For one less elixir you can play hog which is much more durable and frankly will survive more spells.

I really think they should fix this card because they over nerfed it.
    vouz81kqd95y.png
    Two decks:
  • JcttehTheWiseJcttehTheWise Posts: 1,943Moderator
    Lol I forgot this card existed.

Seriously, I don't remember the last time I faced it, but I don't know why. When I use them on draft or classic deck, they seem quite strong. Maybe it's because they prefer ram? :thinking:
    Forum Moderator and hobbyish doodler
    y550ls9wbwod.png
    I like underused stuff...
    Lol I forgot this card existed.

Seriously, I don't remember the last time I faced it, but I don't know why. When I use them on draft or classic deck, they seem quite strong. Maybe it's because they prefer ram? :thinking:

They can do well against certain decks but since the nerf they’re so much easier to stop. A fireball now (with tower) kills 1 of 4 before they even get to the tower and reduces the other three to a sliver of health. By the time they actually reach tower there is one or two left who can get one hit at most. They’re so light now they can be sneezed off the tower. They are just so much easier to repel. Like I said, hog (whose use has climbed to 1 in 3 decks on ladder) is cheaper and gets 264pts damage at t-standard per hit. Fireball a hog and it still gets a hit or two. R hogs do 56pts per hit. Fireballs kill 2 before they hit and if your lucky you get 1 hit from 2 rhog hits for 112 damage. So under the same scenario hog does double the damage at 1 less cost.

I don’t think balances are usually very good the more I think about it. They either kill a card or make it OP. Yet certain cards they won’t touch despite high use and good-great winrates for months on end (ahem.., looking at you pekka, 3m, ram, hog, etc.)
    vouz81kqd95y.png
    Two decks: