Community Royale - A Clash Royale Community driven forum

WubWub - The Shield Spell

WubWubWubWub Posts: 423Member
edited November 2017 in Ideas & Feature Requests
Behold... the Shield Spell!
Have you ever placed down a skeleton army or minion horde, only to have them wiped out by arrows moments later? Ever wished your golem or giant had a little bit more health? Ever wished there were more defensive spells in the game?
Well, ladies and gentlemen, your prayers have been answered. Behold... the Shield Spell! It affects all troops in its radius, giving them a shield like the Dark Prince and Guards have - for a limited time. As soon as the spell is cast, the shield's hitpoints start to drop, so don't waste any time! The shield hitpoints are relative to their base health, but the amount of hitpoints the shield constantly decrease by is always the same.

Using the Shield Spell
This spell has many applications: protecting your swarm troops, strengthening your tanks, etc. Minion hordes can no longer be taken out by a fireball or a hail of arrows as long as you have this card. Tanks get a significant buff, since the shield is relative to their base hitpoints, meaning your giant can get one or two extra hits off that enemy tower and win the game.
The best deck to use this spell in is a beatdown deck. It supports the tank and support, giving the entire push a huge advantage.

Countering the Shield Spell
Countering this card is difficult, especially against swarms. One strategy is to place a decoy or meat shield and wait for the shield to fade. The Valkyrie isn't bad, but since the troops can survive a hit, they might be able to overtake her. You can use multiple area damage troops or spells, but the easiest way to counter shielded swarms is... the Poison Spell. Dealing continuous damage takes out the fragile shields, then the actual swarm.
Against a beatdown push, you probably will have to spend more to take out the support, so don't expect to get many positive trades against them.

Card Example

0bzwy0jc0xb0.png

card image created with Clash Royale Card Maker

This card takes an existing feature of the game that appears very rarely and expands its use in a balanced way, creating all new strategies in many different deck styles.
This thread was my first thread and was posted at the start of March 2017.
I edited the strategy to include more variety and doubled the decay rate to prevent shielded swarms for being too strong. Check out the new and improved Shield Spell!
Card Concepts:
- Dark Princess - Candles - Shield Spell -
Balance Suggestions - Updated!
What if the Infinity Stones were in the Clash universe?

Comments

• JcttehTheWiseJcttehTheWise Posts: 2,019Moderator
    Definitely this is one of the most overposted card concepts; I also made a similar idea a long time ago. Anyway, I think spell shields wouldn't be well received by players, mainly due to three muskies, which is a shame IMO...
    Forum Moderator and hobbyish doodler
    y550ls9wbwod.png
    I like underused stuff...
  • WubWubWubWub Posts: 423Member
    Definitely this is one of the most overposted card concepts; I also made a similar idea a long time ago. Anyway, I think spell shields wouldn't be well received by players, mainly due to three muskies, which is a shame IMO...

Mine is the only one with shield decay, so mine is the most balanced concept. I honestly wasn't thinking of Three Musketeers when I made this, but yeah, that would be interesting. Though really all you'd have to do is wait til the shield runs out, possibly log them, and then Rocket or Fireball.
    I've been thinking: what would happen with Cannon Cart? Would it get its wheels back :grey_question:
    Card Concepts:
  • LegoTrooperLegoTrooper Posts: 187Member
    I say op just OP, so OP, makes 3 musks op(Just wait? Really they will use it reaktively like when they use(d) healspell), makes zapbait more op and makes zap even better than arrows. The concept would be good but not in clash Royale.
    7trnzfq8legh.png
    (Pixel Signature by: TheSpaghettiMobile.)

I'm still waiting for battleram to get buffed..... Because I have more success with a level 5 skelebarrel than a tourney standard ram.
    I say op just OP, so OP, makes 3 musks op(Just wait? Really they will use it reaktively like when they use(d) healspell), makes zapbait more op and makes zap even better than arrows. The concept would be good but not in clash Royale.

Well, it doesn't work on buildings, so you can't protect pump. And you need very fast reactions or very precise timing to shield as a reaction. It's more of a precautionary measure. And keep in mind it's 4 elixir, so it's a pretty heavy investment for a card that doesn't put troops on the field. Like Freeze - if you mess up, you mess up big time.

I also made the decay twice as strong. A shield for a Goblin only lasts for 1.5 seconds now. Gonna mention that in the thread.
    Card Concepts:
  • LegoTrooperLegoTrooper Posts: 187Member
    WubWub wrote: »

Well, it doesn't work on buildings, so you can't protect pump. And you need very fast reactions or very precise timing to shield as a reaction. It's more of a precautionary measure. And keep in mind it's 4 elixir, so it's a pretty heavy investment for a card that doesn't put troops on the field. Like Freeze - if you mess up, you mess up big time.

I also made the decay twice as strong. A shield for a Goblin only lasts for 1.5 seconds now. Gonna mention that in the thread.

The three musketeer players do not worry about the pump because then they get a free pairs of three musketeers, it is definitely the most "balanced" shield spell but would make arrows and rocket underpowered. And the zap would just rise even more in usage. (It is like the heal spell, not op in every matchup but is OP in some matchups causing the Poison, heal, rock, papper scissor again.)
    7trnzfq8legh.png
    (Pixel Signature by: TheSpaghettiMobile.)

I'm still waiting for battleram to get buffed..... Because I have more success with a level 5 skelebarrel than a tourney standard ram.
  • RobinhoodRobinhood Posts: 181Member
    Looks an overpowered spell to me tbh.
    The only way this spell can be balanced to me is if can't be casted (or cards lose their shield) when they cross 2 (or 3) tiles of opponent's side.
    <p>
    Well, it doesn't work on buildings, so you can't protect pump. And you need very fast reactions or very precise timing to shield as a reaction. It's more of a precautionary measure. And keep in mind it's 4 elixir, so it's a pretty heavy investment for a card that doesn't put troops on the field. Like Freeze - if you mess up, you mess up big time. I also made the decay twice as strong. A shield for a Goblin only lasts for 1.5 seconds now. Gonna mention that in the thread.
    The three musketeer players do not worry about the pump because then they get a free pairs of three musketeers, it is definitely the most "balanced" shield spell but would make arrows and rocket underpowered. And the zap would just rise even more in usage. (It is like the heal spell, not op in every matchup but is OP in some matchups causing the Poison, heal, rock, papper scissor again.)
    That could be cause for alarm. However, I buffed the decay rate heavily (by 2) when I ported this card over, so the musketeers would get only a few seconds of shielding at best, and that's without being hit at all. It's more of an insurance spell.</p><p>
    Looks an overpowered spell to me tbh. The only way this spell can be balanced to me is if can't be casted (or cards lose their shield) when they cross 2 (or 3) tiles of opponent's side.
    That would make this spell in a beatdown deck useless, imo. The shield on the tank and support is the most valuable thing you would have in a shielded beatdown deck, and since many support troops are fragile, they need the protection, especially in the opponent's territory.</p><p>It costs 4 elixir, so it's a heavier investment and only really works well if you have good cards to be shielded.</p>
    Card Concepts:
  • ferrell34ferrell34 Posts: 1,450Moderator
    By looking the use of this card.. what is the purpose of Heal then? (Don't say it's cheaper, need reasons)
    EarthThis signature is my city
  • Flying_MinerFlying_Miner Posts: 14Member
    Very overposted idea; if there is going to be a shield spell, I think spells cast before the shield spell shouldn't be affected by it, otherwise rocket will be terrible
    nAMNQtj.png
    Thanks to Spicy for the sig
    ferrell34 wrote: »
    By looking the use of this card.. what is the purpose of Heal then? (Don't say it's cheaper, need reasons)
    Heal is permanent. If you Fireball all Three Musketeers while clipping the tower, but don't finish them off with Log or Zap, Heal restores all their health. These shields are not permanent. And, of course, Heal is cheaper.
    Then there's the fact that Heal needs some sort of rework anyways, so you could change it at the same time that this spell come out. (Clash With Ash's idea of a cheaper, single burst heal is what I think is needed.)
    Very overposted idea; if there is going to be a shield spell, I think spells cast before the shield spell shouldn't be affected by it, otherwise rocket will be terrible
    A lot of shield spell concepts are like this: 'completely denies all spell damage in this area for 5 seconds'. This is much more balanced, as it doesn't stop spell cycling completely. And if you can predict a Rocket, good for you. Rocket is much too strong in the meta anyways.
    Card Concepts:
  • KingBencentKingBencent Posts: 259Member
    Reminds me of denial, remember that @WubWub?
    twpwe7y9tha9.png
    Reminds me of denial, remember that @WubWub?

DrKillpatient's old creation, yes. But that was much different. It prevented anything from being placed inside its radius, and didn't deny spells or troops that were already cast. Cool concept, but it messed with the game's core mechanics and I never really liked it. This spell works with a feature already in the game and expands on it in a balanced way. Definitely worth a try in-game.
    Card Concepts:
  • BUFFTHEROCKETBUFFTHEROCKET Posts: 129Member
    Don’t want to make swarms more dominant than they already are. If swarms can’t be spelled out, you can’t do anything to them because of the uselessness of splash troops
    <p>
    Don’t want to make swarms more dominant than they already are. If swarms can’t be spelled out, you can’t do anything to them because of the uselessness of splash troops
    Splash troops would still work. And keep in mind, a shielded swarm is at least 7 elixir (not counting bats and skeletons, which don't have enough worth to shield). It's a heavy investment and might not be worth it.</p><p>I feel like this spell would be most useful in beatdown anyway - shielding the tank and support all at once.</p>
    Card Concepts: