I have been playing clash since a few months after it went global. I want to say that I’ve likely played clash more then any other game in my life (and I’ve been a game since the Atari 2600). Playing it so much I can say that its been one of my favorite games of all time. So I have a real love of the game. So understand this is coming from a real lover of the game. My comments reflect not what would make the most money for SC but what would make it a better game imo.
I realize this will tldr for many.
1) one of my qualms is often the speed with which things are fixed. In some cases its a matter of balance changes... I often feel the community notices things months before SC acts. Ebarbs were overbuffed and for what seemed like an eternity the game was a mess. I remember posting how at times I was battling ebarbs 60% of all battles. While we may as a community disagree about what needs to be changed, from my perspective I feel like its months from when certain metas are overused and annoying until SC acts (if at all). Now, I would argue that for months pekka has been overused and OP. I recognize this may vary in different cupranges but as a person playing two accounts in two different cupranges I feel it relevant to comment on my experience. The meta changes way to slow.
In my ranges ebarbs and hog have remained the top 2 win cons for 2 years. It really detracts from the game for my part that it never changes.
2) slow to act on certain features... how long did people have to wait for a permamute? I use it on and off and am glad it was implemented. Not sure why it took so long?
3) the p2w model. I would argue that there are other viable business models that don’t require people to have to purchase advantages. Imo the best matches are true skill based battles. The ladder is greatly flawed and often unsatisfying because off this model. I don’t like that the only way to have fair matches is through challenges. The ladder in theory would be elegant (skill + lvls is balanced) but it is too easily manipulated. People have freely admitted that they stay low because its easy. Anyone above or below 4k knows how common it is to battle people with an enormous advantage who have dropped hundreds of cups to have such an advantage. To me, it reduces the fun of the game.
Regarding business models, I will point to fortnite which is (unless something has changed) is the biggestgrossing game without players purchasing an advantage.
I will point out that this issue also effects collectiin day battles. I can’t play some events because in my past there would be matches where my lvl10 acct was battling lvl13 players. This wouldn’t happen if card levels were always equal.
4) regarding draft battles... there are too many unbalanced cardsmeaning certain cards are always given away and create arbitrary handicaps. If a card isn’t balanced for TS (I’m looking at you ebarbs and RG) then take it out. So many battles seem determined by who eas able to give the bad cards to the other. There are easily half a dozen cards people will never choose. Fix them or take them out.
5) in the realm of correcting mistakes... ebarbs and RG. I recall that at one point SC admitted they regretted making them commons. Rather then fix it they let it stand. Now the cards are a terror as they are easily levelled well above their opponents... but unbalanced for challenges where they are often a handicap as refernced earlier. Had they fixed this years ago when they knew it was a mistake the game would be better.
This is the gist if it. But just to quickly state what motivated this... I get frustrated a lot at the game. I often just quit battles because they seem they won’t be fun, be it because I just played 6 hog decks in a row or because my deck with 10s and 11s is facing someone who has half their deck maxxed. I want to maintain my love of the game but sometimes its just irritating. Just looking at my last 10 games... I played megaknight 4 times. And I think they just said they think its balanced. Yet i play against the card much more then would be merited if it was balanced. If you are in upper 3k, lower 4k its hog, pekka, MK, ebarbs soooo much more then you should see. And its tiresome.
Anyhow... if anyone made it here, thanks for reading. Happy to hear your comments.
Signature art by JcttehTheWise