Community Royale - A Clash Royale Community driven forum

[OFFICIAL] Balance Update Live (2/4) - Freeze, Three Musketeers, Cannon Cart, and More

MasterCalMasterCal Posts: 2,330Moderator
edited February 4 in General Discussion
Supercell wrote:
The way we approach card balance in Clash Royale is a combination of playtesting, listening to the community and looking at the stats. You can expect monthly balance updates to keep gameplay fine tuned and as fun as possible.

In this balance update we're taking a look at Freeze, Three Musketeers, Cannon Cart and more!

Watch the quick-look video​​!

---
  • Musketeer: Damage +3%
    The basic Musketeer Troop is supposed to be a strong single target ranged attacker, strong against medium sized bodies. In practice, she is often set aside for other ranged attackers with more utility. We are improving what she is meant to be good at (shooting stuff), and she is now able to destroy Baby Dragon, Prince, Inferno Dragon (and more) in one fewer shot.
  • Three Musketeers: Elixir Cost increased 9 -> 10
    Three Musketeers has been a balancing problem for a while – they have dominated multiple metagames and resisted every balance change. We have tried to indirectly nerf them by buffing counters or nerfing support cards in the deck. Despite this, the deck persists at extremely high win rates.

The time has come to try a more direct nerf, paired with a buff to the basic Musketeer. Ideally the increased cost is offset partially by the increased power level, and the card finds itself in a balanced place for 2019.
  • Freeze: Damage -6%, Freeze Duration Reduced 5.0sec -> 4.0sec
    Freeze has been a top tier Spell for two months. It’s on the high end of acceptable win rates, but after seeing how it impacts the metagame we have decided it is not a card we want to be that powerful or that popular. Freeze is antithetical to our desire of having counterplay and Troop-based combat as the main drivers in a game of Clash Royale, so we are taking it down a power level.
  • Cannon Cart: Hit Speed faster 1.3 -> 1.2
    Revisiting past balance changes, Cannon Cart was nerfed due to high win rates in a variety of decks. A small nerf dropped it to near the bottom of use rate charts, indicating the card was not overpowered but merely a victim of being good in that metagame. We want Cannon Cart to exist as a viable counter to cards like Mortar, X-Bow, and Bowler so we are reverting the nerf from a few months back.
  • Knight: Hitpoints +2.5%
    The main draw of Knight is his high health pool. However, Knight can only take two hits from the popular P.E.K.K.A. We hope that increasing Knight’s pool to need 3 P.E.K.K.A hits will make Knight a compelling defensive alternative to Rascals, Ice Golem, and Valkyrie.
  • Dart Goblin: Hit Speed slower 0.65sec -> 0.7sec
    Dart Goblin it meant to be high-risk, high-reward, but the fast attack speed creates a lot of damage in the short time that he is alive. Slowing down the attack speed reduces the overall damage output while opponents can respond.
  • Clone: New Clone placement (Clone now placed behind Cloned Troop)
    The animation of shifting left for Clone created some odd moments, sometimes the Clone would get ahead of the original Troop. Now the Clone Spell will always put the Cloned Troop behind the original, protecting it for better, more consistent attack strategies.

---
The changes to Clone are already live!
pv7u5U6.jpg

CR Stats PB: 4609 KT: 12. Card lvls: Mostly 11 with some lvl 10 Rares and lvl 12 Commons 91/91 cards unlocked. IGN: Hardcase Royale.

BS Stats: 16 Brawlers. IGN: ΜαΣτεπςαλ

Please read the Forum Rules

Join the CommunityRoyale Discord Server here: https://discord.gg/3PdFBp3

Comments

• JcttehTheWiseJcttehTheWise Posts: 1,974Moderator
    I'd loved a bandit/barb barrel/mortar nerf as well, but I'm already happy with these changes, specially with the 3m nerf (FINALLY)
    Forum Moderator and hobbyish doodler
    y550ls9wbwod.png
    I like underused stuff...
  • brainiacboybrainiacboy Posts: 589Member
    yeah, maybe a pekka nerf, but i am happy. I now might try clone now.
    The Proud Real Madrid And Juventus Supporter
  • ferrell34ferrell34 Posts: 1,420Moderator
    I'm glad that Freeze was adressed but i can't help but feel sorry for the OG Freeze users (freeze users before the damage rework on it, especially the F2P ones).

Anyway, overall, good changes this round.
    EarthThis signature is my city
  • GiorgakisGiorgakis Posts: 3,070Member
    Besides the Freeze one, the others are good.
    TH9xMZx.jpg0

Worship the 9 Titans (Golem, PEKKA, Lava Hound, Dragon, Giant Skeleton, Scorcher, Super PEKKA, Electro Dragon, Goblin Giant)
    Their card
    Obey the 4 Immortal Armies (Skeleton Army, Minion Horde, Goblin Gang, Critter Swarm)
    Teach the 12 Titan Babies (Golemite, Mini PEKKA, Baby Dragon, Lava Pup, Sparky, Inferno Dragon, Ice Golem, Balloon, Cannon Cart, Dropship, Flying Machine, Deployable Turret)
    Protect the 12 Peasants (Skeletons, Goblins, Spear Goblins, Minions, Bats, Critters, Fire Spirits, Ice Spirits, Crystal Critters, Critter Bats, Explosive Drones, Beta Minion)
    Babysit the Titan Grandchild (Zappy)

Check my AMA here
    Play in these Forum Games: Buy, sell, trash, Grant the Wish above you, Hurt and Heal, Complain the Card above you for the stupidest Reason, Admire the card above you for the smartest Reason, Two Lies, One Truth, Keep One, Drop One, Trash a Card, TPBM Game
    Show your feedback for these card ideas: Cold Skeleton, Thorns, Armored Giant, Battle Zeppelin, Medicine, Blessing, Dragon, Deployable Cannon, Warrior, Heavy Elite Barbarian, Boom Cannon, Crusher, Microwaver, Rocket Launcher, Barbarian Launcher, Grappler, S.I.M.O. Tower, Double Cannon, Flamethrower, Giant Hut
    This is my favorite discussion ever (not created by me): https://communityroyale.com/discussion/1676/how-arena-1-has-mirror-0-max-trophy#latest
  • PuzoPuzo Posts: 475Member
    Musketeer: ok, maybe it will show up more outside 2.6.

3m: rip, one more idiotic move by rumham.

Freeze: they shouldnt have touched it at all. Now it has been nerfed twice after big buff. It was fine before that and now its pretty bad.

Cannon Cart: finally! The nerf wasnt needed, now its back in business.

Knight: maybe this buff will make Knight a better option in some decks. Didnt really need a buff, because the card isnt bad, but it was still a must, because IG and Valk block Knight badly.

DG: time will tell, but I think its an ok change.

Clone: better in some decks, worse in some. Not sure if this was needed or not.

Where is the Barb Barrel nerf?

• MasterCalMasterCal Posts: 2,330Moderator
    Seth figures that the 3M nerf will reduce Bandit and Barb Barrel use rates
    pv7u5U6.jpg

CR Stats PB: 4609 KT: 12. Card lvls: Mostly 11 with some lvl 10 Rares and lvl 12 Commons 91/91 cards unlocked. IGN: Hardcase Royale.

• PuzoPuzo Posts: 475Member
    MasterCal wrote: »
    Seth figures that the 3M nerf will reduce Bandit and Barb Barrel use rates

It probably will reduce Bandit user rates, but not Barb Barrel. Its used in so many metadecks, lavaminer, golem, rg, gy etc.
  • micsfyuenmicsfyuen Posts: 710Member
    I like all the changes. Hope 3M is still viable.
  • kitsune42kitsune42 Posts: 315Member
    It seems that all those changes are not good for my Icebow!!
    But not many X-Bow players out there, so it doesn't matter much!
    I thought X-Bow is such a nice card and easy to win, but if I am tired I absolutely have no chance. I want easy wins!!!!!
  • MasterCalMasterCal Posts: 2,330Moderator
    Some key interaction changes.... (From RadicalRosh)

Musketeer with Princess tower help can defeat a Giant Skeleton with no death bomb damage.

Frozen minions require two tower shots instead of one, similar to Ice Golem's frost nova. They can still be zapped

Dart Goblin can no longer soft counter lava hound and get two shots on the opponent's tower. It will be killed.

Knight survives three shots from Pekka (obviously). Goblins placed on top of him give up two tower shots rather than one.
    ferrell34
    pv7u5U6.jpg

• WrecklessWreckless Posts: 4Member
    I used both freeze and 3 Musketeers and this ruined my deck
  • kitsune42kitsune42 Posts: 315Member
    Oh yes 3 Musketeers are ruined, I could win with my X-Bow already some battles against them. Freeze is also no thread, one can handle it normally.
    But the one musketeer is really strong now. And the very cheap hog deck is hell for me. I cannot win. I played 5 or more battles against that hog meta deck with cannon and absolutely no chance. The cycle is faster than my X-bow. So I cannot cycle fast enough to Tornado. If I place a defensive X-Bow it is dead before I can get the attacking X-Bow on the field. I don't know how I shall use the rocket to get damage done. So I am confused but lately no practise against that deck. And I don't know with whom I can friendly battle to practise!