Community Royale - A Clash Royale Community driven forum

[OFFICIAL] Supercell discusses the balance of the Wall Breakers

GiorgakisGiorgakis Posts: 3,070Member
edited February 18 in General Discussion
Copied from the official Reddit post.

Hope you are all enjoying breaking walls with this release challenge!

Wall Breakers are out and about, breaking walls (but not hearts). Because Wall Breakers are the first time we have replaced a Training Camp Epic, we wanted to share the design process for this card.

To start, we have to go back to last summer when the first card unlock re-arrange occurred. The goal was to provide clear gameplay to players at each Arena and it quickly began to feel like Witch did not belong in Training Camp as a starting Epic.

Witch is really good in Arena 1 with no clear answers (she doesn’t die at level 6 to starter level Arrows + Fireball)
Witch is unclear what she is meant to do or who she is meant to counter because of her jack of all trades mechanics
Without Witch, the remaining Epics are a clear rock-paper-scissors (Baby Dragon > Skarmy > Prince > Baby Dragon)

So we wanted to move Witch to Arena 2, but no existing Epic made sense as a replacement. We briefly considered something like Bowler in Training Camp but that heavily defensive / knock back sort of gameplay is really not fun for new players.

We resolved to make a new-player-friendly Epic to replace Witch, ideally keeping something Clash-classic so it would resonate to new players familiar with Clash of Clans. Wall Breakers was one of our first prototypes and created a ton of fun moments. It’s an easy to understand card that is counterable with Arena 1-2 cards and still creates exciting moments of high tension.

Wall Breakers also complement the aforementioned rock-paper-scissors of the remaining Epics by NOT countering any of them. 3 of the Epics fight each other effectively, and the only thing you need to know about Wall Breakers is don’t let them reach the tower. We hope Wall Breakers will help new players understand the difference between Giant/tank strategies and Battle Ram/rush type attacks. For example, it’s a perfect card to teach players to Fireball defensively.

Due to their placement in Training Camp, they were the best choice because of their very simple mechanics – players will receive this card before their first ever live player Battle. I have read criticism about Wall Breakers, wishing for them to have more mechanics. If they had too many mechanics in their design, they would be guilty of the same problems that Witch had.

Let take a quick to moment to imagine Wall Breakers with death damage (a very common suggestion and good idea):

WBs would become a better defensive tool than offensive one. Two death explosions of 400 each is far better than Fireball. The best use of Wall Breakers would be as a cheap Giant Skeleton bomb that destroyed offensive pushes
WBs could have a different attack damage from their death damage, but it makes more sense that they would be the same. If they DID have different damage, their card info becomes cluttered with a lot of numbers and its not immediately clear which damage they are doing (was that an attack death or an enemy-killed-me death?)

While I understand many people feel they are underpowered at first glance, I believe they will come into their own over time. For experienced players, Wall Breakers are a new tool for bridgespam aggro decks and Miner strategies - it’s pretty similar to Miner-Skeleton Balloon (which is already a viable attack plan). If they turn out to be too strong or too weak, we will use the monthly balance updates to adjust them as usual.

Next Week: I’ll be back to talk about the state of meta balance, including Mortar and Three Musketeers.
ferrell34
TH9xMZx.jpg0

Worship the 9 Titans (Golem, PEKKA, Lava Hound, Dragon, Giant Skeleton, Scorcher, Super PEKKA, Electro Dragon, Goblin Giant)
Their card
Obey the 4 Immortal Armies (Skeleton Army, Minion Horde, Goblin Gang, Critter Swarm)
Teach the 12 Titan Babies (Golemite, Mini PEKKA, Baby Dragon, Lava Pup, Sparky, Inferno Dragon, Ice Golem, Balloon, Cannon Cart, Dropship, Flying Machine, Deployable Turret)
Protect the 12 Peasants (Skeletons, Goblins, Spear Goblins, Minions, Bats, Critters, Fire Spirits, Ice Spirits, Crystal Critters, Critter Bats, Explosive Drones, Beta Minion)
Babysit the Titan Grandchild (Zappy)

Check my AMA here
Play in these Forum Games: Buy, sell, trash, Grant the Wish above you, Hurt and Heal, Complain the Card above you for the stupidest Reason, Admire the card above you for the smartest Reason, Two Lies, One Truth, Keep One, Drop One, Trash a Card, TPBM Game
Show your feedback for these card ideas: Cold Skeleton, Thorns, Armored Giant, Battle Zeppelin, Medicine, Blessing, Dragon, Deployable Cannon, Warrior, Heavy Elite Barbarian, Boom Cannon, Crusher, Microwaver, Rocket Launcher, Barbarian Launcher, Grappler, S.I.M.O. Tower, Double Cannon, Flamethrower, Giant Hut
This is my favorite discussion ever (not created by me): https://communityroyale.com/discussion/1676/how-arena-1-has-mirror-0-max-trophy#latest

Comments

• JcttehTheWiseJcttehTheWise Posts: 1,974Moderator
    edited February 18
    I stickied and added the oficial tag to this discussion.

I agree with Seth's explanations about why shouldn't they have death damage. But that doesn't solve the problem: the card is clearly weak. It lacks of defensive usage and on offense they are really easy to stop unless they go with a tank (which wastes their speed potential) or with miner (which is not a worthy combo, since for the same elixir or less there are wayyy better cards to pair with Miner with better results, such as Minions or Goblin Gang).

IMO, it's ok that Wall Breakers lack of defensive potential, but I think they should be more threatening on offense. Death damage could help, but as Seth explained we all would use the card as mini giant skeletons. If we need them to be able to knock out near swarm we don't need death damage, since we can use what we already have.

My proposal is to buff WB's attack radius. This would let them take out near swarm or seriously damage glass cannons after reaching a building. Also, a buff to the time they take to explode once they reach the building would make them easier to not die just before exploding. With this change, despite the combo problems are still not completely solved, we can make sure they can do something appart from just deal damage to towers.

What do you think?
    ferrell34
    Forum Moderator and hobbyish doodler
    y550ls9wbwod.png
    I like underused stuff...
  • MasterCalMasterCal Posts: 2,330Moderator
    I think just buffing their attack speed should help, at least so that both wall breakers can damage the tower if left ignored. I agree with the design principles of simplicity, though three years into the game won't affect most of the playerbase.
    pv7u5U6.jpg

CR Stats PB: 4609 KT: 12. Card lvls: Mostly 11 with some lvl 10 Rares and lvl 12 Commons 91/91 cards unlocked. IGN: Hardcase Royale.

BS Stats: 16 Brawlers. IGN: ΜαΣτεπςαλ

Please read the Forum Rules

Join the CommunityRoyale Discord Server here: https://discord.gg/3PdFBp3
  • GiorgakisGiorgakis Posts: 3,070Member
    The Wall Breakers are pretty similar to Balloon and Skeleton Barrel. These cards are quite strong offensively but have zero defensive utility. So instead of buffing their non existent defense, why not buff their offense instead.
    TH9xMZx.jpg0

Worship the 9 Titans (Golem, PEKKA, Lava Hound, Dragon, Giant Skeleton, Scorcher, Super PEKKA, Electro Dragon, Goblin Giant)
    Their card
    Obey the 4 Immortal Armies (Skeleton Army, Minion Horde, Goblin Gang, Critter Swarm)
    Teach the 12 Titan Babies (Golemite, Mini PEKKA, Baby Dragon, Lava Pup, Sparky, Inferno Dragon, Ice Golem, Balloon, Cannon Cart, Dropship, Flying Machine, Deployable Turret)
    Protect the 12 Peasants (Skeletons, Goblins, Spear Goblins, Minions, Bats, Critters, Fire Spirits, Ice Spirits, Crystal Critters, Critter Bats, Explosive Drones, Beta Minion)
    Babysit the Titan Grandchild (Zappy)

Check my AMA here
    Play in these Forum Games: Buy, sell, trash, Grant the Wish above you, Hurt and Heal, Complain the Card above you for the stupidest Reason, Admire the card above you for the smartest Reason, Two Lies, One Truth, Keep One, Drop One, Trash a Card, TPBM Game
    Show your feedback for these card ideas: Cold Skeleton, Thorns, Armored Giant, Battle Zeppelin, Medicine, Blessing, Dragon, Deployable Cannon, Warrior, Heavy Elite Barbarian, Boom Cannon, Crusher, Microwaver, Rocket Launcher, Barbarian Launcher, Grappler, S.I.M.O. Tower, Double Cannon, Flamethrower, Giant Hut
    This is my favorite discussion ever (not created by me): https://communityroyale.com/discussion/1676/how-arena-1-has-mirror-0-max-trophy#latest
  • Damien4794Damien4794 Posts: 88Member
    In the draft challenge I barely used the Wall Breakers as I couldn't see any opportunity to use them. It's probably because I'm not used to them, but I think they could use a buff or two if they don't see use after a couple months.
    dezOxmF.png
    Sig made by MrPancakeGuy