Community Royale - A Clash Royale Community driven forum

Card Balance Suggestions (February 2019)

Damien4794Damien4794 Posts: 82Member
edited February 22 in Card Balance Discussion
Hello! Remember me? With the addition of Seth on the team, I feel that the developers’ communication and balancing has improved markedly (from my perspective), with the game now being in one of the most balanced states ever. In this short list, I will be taking a look at the few problematic cards that remain in the game.

Goblin Giant: Hitpoints +2%
Goblin Giant remains one of the least played cards in the game despite having been out for several months. Based on my experience of him in Classic Deck mode in Clan Wars, I found that he does not connect with the tower as frequently as other similar cards such as Giant. Given that a few top players are already experimenting with this card, I think a small buff is all that’s needed to convince the masses.

Arrows: Radius 4 → 4.5
Arrows is falling behind in the spell race, with the few remaining players likely traditionalists who have not switched loyalties in the face of the changing metagame. A radius increase would increase the accuracy of predictive casts and make it harder to juke Arrows with Goblin Barrel.

Barbarian Barrel: Range 5 → 4.5
With the highest use rate of the 2 Elixir spells, occupying more than half of the market share, Barbarian Barrel has been outclassing The Log as the primary go-to cheap spell. In order to make the choice between the two spells more interesting, we can shorten the range by a bit to make the Barbarian less threatening on offense while clearly differentiating the roles of the two spells. The Log should be used to clear the path for your win condition (e.g. X-Bow, Giant, Hog Rider), while the Barbarian Barrel should be used instead to strengthen the support of the push (e.g. Royal Giant, Golem).

Miner: Deploy time 1sec → 1.2sec, Damage +2.5%
Though not overpowered in the lower leagues, Miner really starts to show up everywhere once you reach the higher leagues where every little bit of damage counts. Near the top, this card appears in a third of matches and the playstyle really starts to switch up with a substantial luck factor involved. Thus, we are reducing the chip potential of the card by increasing the deploy time (and hence frequency with which he is caught) and compensating with a damage increase to appeal to lower level players.

Barbarians: Spawn radius 0 → 1
Barbarians hasn’t got a chance in the metagame for years as they are always countered easily by splash troops for a positive trade. This change will make the Barbarians spawn in a circle of radius 1 tile so that it is easier to surround and conquer, thus making them less vulnerable to splash.

Elite Barbarians: Deploy Time 1sec → 2sec, damage +10%
The main problem with Elite Barbarians is the need to continually pay close attention to the screen. This has led to Elite Barbarians being used more in the lower leagues where people play more casually while being absent in the higher leagues where players are constantly on high alert. The card exploits the reaction time of the player, a major factor that differentiates high and middle levels of play. Instead of letting it remain a reflex card, the deploy time has been lengthened and the damage increased to compensate, in order to make it more of a counterpush card like Prince.

Bandit: Hitpoints -4%
The P.E.K.K.A bridge-spam archetype has become a lot more popular recently, and Bandit has remained popular despite the 3M nerf. This simple hitpoint nerf will reduce the frequency of connections while not being overly drastic.

Three Musketeers: Cost 10 → 9, deploy time 1sec → 2sec
Perhaps accidentally, a 10 Elixir 3M actually costs ~10.4 Elixir in reality due to Elixir leak, rendering them severely underpowered in the current meta. Seeing that they are too strong at 9 Elixir, I think the best move currently is to increase their deploy time as it will not affect the already strong single Musketeer. A longer deploy time will mean more time to build up a push, but also more time for the opponent to Tornado them all into one lane.

--

All the changes above are only ballpark estimates and have to be further refined by playtesting. Please don't hesitate to leave feedback below so I can improve for next month's balance suggestions!

~Damien4794
Feedback
  1. How many of these changes do you want to see in the game?2 votes
    1. 0-2
        0.00%
    2. 3-4
        0.00%
    3. 5-6
      50.00%
    4. 7
      50.00%
    5. 8 (all)
        0.00%
dezOxmF.png
Sig made by MrPancakeGuy

Comments

• I'm at arena 11/12 and go against some form of balloon/freeze 90% of the time. Maybe the lower teirs aren't using it much. So, it's usage rate isn't as obvious an issue, but in these tiers, it's broken beyond belief... Half my deck is geared to stop this very unskilled, half brained tactic, but still I have issues with it. It's constant and mindless spamming of the same handful of cards. I can't see why this isn't part of your discussion.
  • Damien4794Damien4794 Posts: 82Member
    I'm at arena 11/12 and go against some form of balloon/freeze 90% of the time. Maybe the lower teirs aren't using it much. So, it's usage rate isn't as obvious an issue, but in these tiers, it's broken beyond belief... Half my deck is geared to stop this very unskilled, half brained tactic, but still I have issues with it. It's constant and mindless spamming of the same handful of cards. I can't see why this isn't part of your discussion.

Hi and welcome to CommunityRoyale! I am at around the same trophy range as you, but I don't really find Balloon/Freeze to be much of an issue atm. Against Balloon Freeze, you can use two effective air counters in your deck (Mega Minion, Minions, Bats etc.), so if they freeze one you can use the other. Bear in mind that Balloon/Freeze is a 9 Elixir push and the frozen troop can also be used to counterpush. If they support the Balloon with more troops, that's an even heavier investment you could punish. Once you know your opponent has Freeze, you can even try to anticipate it and place your counters closer to the bridge so they can freeze both your troops and the tower at the same time. You can also use a building such as Tesla / Tombstone to drag the Balloon over to buy more time (watch OJ's videos for optimal placements). Depending on your deck and the situation, don't hesitate to tower trade if you are really unable to counter his push. Good luck!
    ferrell34
    dezOxmF.png
    Sig made by MrPancakeGuy
  • IDProGIDProG Posts: 92Member
    1. Goblin Giant
    2% Hitpoints buff is actually nothing. 2% buff is basically 52 Hitpoints buff at Level 9. My personal balance changes would be:
    - Hitpoints reduced by 4% (to 2511 from 2616)
    - Spear Goblin count increased to 3 (from 2)
    This balance change could make Goblin Giant a bit more threatening, while Crown Tower and some troops could take 1 less shot to kill Goblin Giant.

2. Arrows
    Increasing radius would do nothing as well in my opinion. My personal balance changes would be to increase damage by 25% (to 303 from 243). Since Arrows is more expensive, I guess it's time to buff its damage. Killing Archers would make Arrows a bit more viable, because all other 2 cost cards cannot do this, and since Arrows has a low usage rate, I don't think that would hurt Archers much.

3. Barbarian Barrel
    The same argument. It would do nothing IMO. My personal balance change would be to remove its ability to kill Princess (by nerfing damage by 15% to 205 from 243) and buff its range to 7. This would stop it from being a substitute for The Log, but still being strong because the spawned Barbarian would deal more damage to Crown Towers if ignored, and the Barbarian Barrel would still be capable of killing glass cannons hiding behind a tank.

4. Miner
    No comment. I don't really know much about Miner balancing.

5. Barbarians
    Again, that would do nothing. After spawn, they would unite again. My personal balance changes would be to reduce the cost to 4, reduce the Barbarian count to 3, and increase the Hit Speed to 1.2sec. This would make Barbarians less Elixir heavy as a swarm, but still very effective at stopping some powerful troops.
    OR
    to increase the Hitpoints by 9% (to 693 from 636) and reduce Hit Speed to 1.5sec. This would stop them from being OHKOed by PEKKA, indirectly nerfing her. This would also make Barbarians have more Hitpoints left after Fireball.

6. Elite Barbarians
    They are OK as of now. Clash Royale is a competitive game, not a casual one. Of course you have to look at the screen the entire match.

7. Bandit
    I agree with this one. And in my opinion, a 8.25% damage nerf is also needed. This would stop Bandit's charge from OHKOing Bomber, inditectly buffing it.

8. Three Musketeers
    No, 9 Elixir for 3 Musketeers would make it OP again. 2sec would just make the player invest a bit more Elixir if split at the back. Would be better if they added an invisible eleventh Elixir slot, so that you don't keep leaking Elixir whenever you deploy 3M.

MasterCal
  • GiorgakisGiorgakis Posts: 3,019Member
    Goblin Giant:

I do not agree with that. His damage is the problem, not his hitpoints. Because of it, I suggest a 7% hitpoint nerf in exchange for a 70% Damag buff.

Arrows:

That buff seems fine. Not agree entirely but it is something that suffices.

Barbarian Barrel:

That is not enough. I think it is better to

Increase its cost to 3 Elixir
    Increase its damage by 66%
    Increase its range to 9 meters
    Add a knockback

This one would be better.

Barbarians:

This has already been implement last year in June. If you want a further change to that mechanic... I am personally fine with that. Supported

Elite Barbarians

A fine change. Not spectacular, just fine. Only problem is that they will be even worse in defense.

Bandit

Agree with this nerf. Cannot be any better.

Three Musketeers

Implement a similar change to the Minion Horde to these ladies and keep the 10 Elixir cost.

TH9xMZx.jpg0

Worship the 9 Titans (Golem, PEKKA, Lava Hound, Dragon, Giant Skeleton, Scorcher, Super PEKKA, Electro Dragon, Goblin Giant)
    Their card
    Obey the 4 Immortal Armies (Skeleton Army, Minion Horde, Goblin Gang, Critter Swarm)
    Teach the 12 Titan Babies (Golemite, Mini PEKKA, Baby Dragon, Lava Pup, Sparky, Inferno Dragon, Ice Golem, Balloon, Cannon Cart, Dropship, Flying Machine, Deployable Turret)
    Protect the 12 Peasants (Skeletons, Goblins, Spear Goblins, Minions, Bats, Critters, Fire Spirits, Ice Spirits, Crystal Critters, Critter Bats, Explosive Drones, Beta Minion)
    Babysit the Titan Grandchild (Zappy)

Check my AMA here
    Play in these Forum Games: Buy, sell, trash, Grant the Wish above you, Hurt and Heal, Complain the Card above you for the stupidest Reason, Admire the card above you for the smartest Reason, Two Lies, One Truth, Keep One, Drop One, Trash a Card, TPBM Game
    Show your feedback for these card ideas: Cold Skeleton, Thorns, Armored Giant, Battle Zeppelin, Medicine, Blessing, Dragon, Deployable Cannon, Warrior, Heavy Elite Barbarian, Boom Cannon, Crusher, Microwaver, Rocket Launcher, Barbarian Launcher, Grappler, S.I.M.O. Tower, Double Cannon, Flamethrower, Giant Hut
    This is my favorite discussion ever (not created by me): https://communityroyale.com/discussion/1676/how-arena-1-has-mirror-0-max-trophy#latest
  • killerkiller Posts: 1,150Member
    Elite barbs just need to be deleted. The issue with elite barbs is still and has always been its rarity. There is no fix that will make them good at t-standard without making them problematic on ladder.

Goblin Giant needs a buff.

Bandit and miner can both use minor nerfs.

I don’t agree any of the other changes are needed.

Pekka needs a nerf for like the last 12 months at least.
    vouz81kqd95y.png
    Two decks:
    Ram/exe/miner/tornado/ggang/poison/log/goblins
    Rhogs/tesla/valk/musk/fireball/zap/ggang/bats
    Signature art by JcttehTheWise
  • brainiacboybrainiacboy Posts: 533Member
    edited February 23
    I agree with all of them except of goblin giant. hitpoints buff should be more at 5%.
    The Proud Real Madrid And Juventus Supporter
  • JcttehTheWiseJcttehTheWise Posts: 1,944Moderator
    Goblin Giant: Hitpoints +2%
    I think the main reason Shrek remains underused is because of PEKKA dominance in meta. While Golem is tanky enough to still reach the tower and Giant cheap enough to be paired with solid support, Shrek has higher elixir cost and less HP than Giant, a middle point that PEKKA decks punish too hard. Despite that, Shrek has proved to be a good card, having the highest winrate in GC. Because of that, I still think is too soon to buff Shrek. We should wait until PEKKA is not top tier and see what happens.

Arrows: Radius 4 → 4.5
    Despite I think Arrows need a buff, IMO damage should be increased instead of range. The benefits of increasing damage are better than increasing range: being abke to kill higher level Minions and be usable against non swarmy cards.

Barbarian Barrel: Range 5 → 4.5
    As the highest usage rate AND ONE OF THE HIGHEST WIN RATE card, the Nerf should be more harsh. Appart from decreasing range, deploy time and/or the barbarian himself should be nerfed as well to cut down all that winrate IMO. Also even less range could work.

Miner: Deploy time 1sec → 1.2sec, Damage +2.5%
    Completely agree. No conplains.

Barbarians: Spawn radius 0 → 1
    I don't think this will encourage playera to use Barbs, but it's a step on the right direction to make them viable. IMO they need some kind of rework such as count increase with stats nerf to compensate.

Elite Barbarians: Deploy Time 1sec → 2sec, damage +10%
    This is one if those cards that, as old RG, need a removal of annoying factor to make them healthy. I think this change could work just tenporaly, since the dame thing was applied to RG a while ago and still made him annoying. I like the idea of increasing the reaction time, but maybe speed decrease could work better, so they have no disadvantage on defense.

Bandit: Hitpoints -4%
    I think the same thing as BB: not enough. Her rates are way too good for only 4%.

Three Musketeers: Cost 10 → 9, deploy time 1sec → 2sec
    Maybe it's too soon to already revert the last nerf. I think before that we should try to experiment with current 10 elixir muskies more and leave this change as a last resource.

Those were my thoughs

Welcome back btw

ferrell34
    Forum Moderator and hobbyish doodler
    y550ls9wbwod.png
    I like underused stuff...
  • MasterCalMasterCal Posts: 2,277Moderator
    Goblin Giant has a good win rate but a lower use rate, he's not badly in need of a buff.

Arrows: They are actually viable, buffing their radius would almost make it the size of a rage spell, which is too much. They're just being boxed out by most other spells because people won't change their decks unless forced

Barbarian Barrel: Unpopular opinion: The card has been nerfed enough. They've let cards with more ridiculous ur/wr sit there. I'd rather tweak the barbarian itself (explained later)

Miner: Do agree with a slight nerf, but I'd rather touch its hitspeed. I haven't calculated it but make sure he doesn't one-shot Goblins with your suggestion

Barbarians: They already received a change that spread them out. I think they need an HP buff (enough to take two shots from Pekka) but a hitspeed nerf to 1.7 s (like IW) to compensate

EBarbs: I'd rather make them Fast rather than Very Fast, and increase sight range.

3M: They just need to alleviate the leakage of elixir, then we can make a conclusion on whether the cost change was too much.
    pv7u5U6.jpg

CR Stats PB: 4609 KT: 12. Card lvls: Mostly 11 with some lvl 10 Rares and lvl 12 Commons 90/90 cards unlocked. IGN: Hardcase Royale.

BS Stats: 13 Brawlers. IGN: ΜαΣτεπςαλ

Please read the Forum Rules

Want to see if you are on the forum leaderboards? Post in this thread to see if you have enough to qualify.

Follow me on Twitter: @MasterCalCR. Discord: MasterCal #7507