Community Royale - A Clash Royale Community driven forum

What Makes a Card Balanced?

IDProGIDProG Posts: 158Member
I don't know if this kind of thread had been created or not, but, what I know is that, no threads were made in the first and second page of this subforum that were about this. No sticky either.

So,

Last time I checked, a card is balanced if it has 8-10% usage rate and 45-55% win rate (with the exception of non-win condition spells).

It would be helpful if someone could provide an information about the updated "balance criteria", and what time period should we base on for a balance (1 day - 14 day in Clash Royale API).

Comments

• micsfyuenmicsfyuen Posts: 739Member
    Not the official definition of balance, just my opinion.

I think it is not good to measure a card balance by use rate without comparison to the card’s alternatives.

E.g. if Zap is the only small spell in the game, even with a usage way over 50%, it doesn’t mean the spell is OP. It is only overused because there is no alternative.

When looking at usage rates, I think it only make sense when reviewing in a group of similar cards. E.g. win condition, range, splash, mini tank, tank killer, cycle, swarm, small spell, big spell, spawner, siege.

Then perform a t-test or chi-square test with the usage stats within the group to see if there is any card that has significantly different usage rate.

It can also apply to win rates. But both overall win rate and comparison with similar cards are important.

I think the statistics part is basic. The difficult part is how to balance and how to handle players’ expectations.
    MasterCal
  • MasterCalMasterCal Posts: 2,356Moderator
    Rum Ham's general policy for balanced cards is, as you said, 9% UR, 45-55% WR. However, there are certain "niche" cards that have lower use rates but higher win rates. Those imply cards that require certain synergies to be viable (like night witch or sparky) or have a higher skill floor or both. Those would be considered balanced.

I personally don't think use rates and win rates should be the end all be all. If a card is slightly above or slightly below the standards it's not terribly unbalanced. When it gets too high or too low is when balance needs to be done (adjust the most OP and most UP, leave the slightly OP or UP cards alone because even small changes could break or kill the card).

Also remember that RoyaleAPI does not tell the full story, only Supercell has the "true" stats. Generally, no card has a 60% or more win rate or less than 30% win rate. I'd say 14-days is a better indicator than 1-day though
    pv7u5U6.jpg

CR Stats PB: 4609 KT: 12. Card lvls: Mostly 11 with some lvl 10 Rares and lvl 12 Commons 91/91 cards unlocked. IGN: Hardcase Royale.

BS Stats: 16 Brawlers. IGN: ΜαΣτεπςαλ

Please read the Forum Rules

Join the CommunityRoyale Discord Server here: https://discord.gg/3PdFBp3
  • IDProGIDProG Posts: 158Member
    edited March 4
    micsfyuen wrote: »
    Not the official definition of balance, just my opinion.

I think it is not good to measure a card balance by use rate without comparison to the card’s alternatives.

E.g. if Zap is the only small spell in the game, even with a usage way over 50%, it doesn’t mean the spell is OP. It is only overused because there is no alternative.

When looking at usage rates, I think it only make sense when reviewing in a group of similar cards. E.g. win condition, range, splash, mini tank, tank killer, cycle, swarm, small spell, big spell, spawner, siege.

Then perform a t-test or chi-square test with the usage stats within the group to see if there is any card that has significantly different usage rate.

It can also apply to win rates. But both overall win rate and comparison with similar cards are important.

I think the statistics part is basic. The difficult part is how to balance and how to handle players’ expectations.

I see. It might be accurate, but it's a bit more complicated to do.
    MasterCal wrote: »
    Rum Ham's general policy for balanced cards is, as you said, 9% UR, 45-55% WR. However, there are certain "niche" cards that have lower use rates but higher win rates. Those imply cards that require certain synergies to be viable (like night witch or sparky) or have a higher skill floor or both. Those would be considered balanced.

I personally don't think use rates and win rates should be the end all be all. If a card is slightly above or slightly below the standards it's not terribly unbalanced. When it gets too high or too low is when balance needs to be done (adjust the most OP and most UP, leave the slightly OP or UP cards alone because even small changes could break or kill the card).

Also remember that RoyaleAPI does not tell the full story, only Supercell has the "true" stats. Generally, no card has a 60% or more win rate or less than 30% win rate. I'd say 14-days is a better indicator than 1-day though

So basically:

1. High Win Rate + High Use Rate = Fully OP, need nerf.

2. High Win Rate + Normal Use Rate = Partially OP, need to buff counters (that are partially UP) or meta shift.

3. High Win Rate + Low Use Rate = Powerful, but bottlenecked by card selection pool, need more variety of cards (more synergy) or meta shift.

4. Normal Win Rate + High Use Rate = No good alternatives for the card, need more variety of cards or deeper observations before doing some balancing.

5. Normal Win Rate + Normal Use Rate = Balanced in the current meta.

6. Normal Win Rate + Low Use Rate = High skill cap card, or the card is overshadowed by its alternatives. Need deeper observations before doing some balancing.

7. Low Win Rate + High Use Rate = The card is overhyped (this is rare and only occurs during the introduction and post-buff of a card). Need some time to get used to the card/buff. There is a chance that the buff is not enough.

8. Low Win Rate + Normal Use Rate = Partially UP, need to nerf counters (that are partially OP) or meta shift.

9. Low Win Rate + Low Use Rate = Fully UP, need buff

With High: more than 55% WR or 10% UR and Low: less than 45% WR or 8% UR.

What do you think?
    JcttehTheWiseferrell34Giorgakis
  • ShaggsShaggs Posts: 552Member
    Supercell is the only people that have access to the true stats, so we won't know where a card is on the scale.... 3rd party sites are't accurate.
  • IDProGIDProG Posts: 158Member
    Shaggs wrote: »
    Supercell is the only people that have access to the true stats, so we won't know where a card is on the scale.... 3rd party sites are't accurate.

Nothing that's not affiliated with Supercell is accurate, but it's the best that we can use.