Community Royale - A Clash Royale Community driven forum

Which tank to pick (or not pick) in draft mode?

micsfyuenmicsfyuen Posts: 738Member
I am so excited with the rewards in the legendary ladies draft challenge, it is the best rewards in all of the special event challenges. Let's warm up for the challenge with some discussion on draft strategy.

Assume it is the first card in a draft. Which tanks are the most likely that you would pick (or not pick)?

Choose among Hog and any bigger tanks:
Hog Rider
Ram Rider
Bowler
Prince
Valkerie
Royal Giant
Goblin Giant
Giant Skeleton
Lavahound
Giant
Mega Knight
Pekka
Golem

For the first card, I always choose a troop that targets troops if possible, to avoid having a draft that is too stupid (e.g. only spells+buildings+building target troops).
My top picks are:
1. PEKKA
2. Mega Knight
3. Giant Skeleton

My bottom picks are:
1. Lavahound
2. Giant
3. Hog
I do not think these cards are bad in draft, it is just a bit risky to choose them as the first card, when nothing is known about the support/defense.

Comments

• JcttehTheWiseJcttehTheWise Posts: 2,007Moderator
    Before entering any draft challenge, I try to watch others play it (or simply play it with another account) to know how the draft algorithm usually works this time, since sometimes there are a lot of win cons and other times you barely have something to reach the tower.
    Once I know that, I know if it's more worthy to ensure a win con or pick up potential defense.
    Of course, if the draft is between a card and its counter, I'll pick the counter (unless I already picked a counter to that counter that synergies well with the first countered card), which is something common with PEKKA.

Now, when choosing between two win conditions at the beginning, I think the cheaper one is usually the best option (escept skelebarrel), since I cannot ensure I'll have cheap cards to compensate the expensive choice.
    Forum Moderator and hobbyish doodler
    y550ls9wbwod.png
    I like underused stuff...
  • IDProGIDProG Posts: 158Member
    edited March 6
    There are tank priorities that I made and follow for myself:

1. PEKKA
    2. Lava Hound
    3. Golem
    4. Mega Knight
    5. Goblin Giant
    6. Royal Giant
    7. Giant
    8. Giant Skeleton
    Those are the only ones that I consider "tanks".

If you have to choose between PEKKA and Lava Hound, if the choice is at the start of the draft, always choose PEKKA (you can pick some air defenses to counter Lava Hound later), if it's at the near end, look at your and the enemy's air defenses, and choose accordingly.

Why are PEKKA, Lava Hound, and Golem the top 3?

PEKKA: She simply counters every other tank besides Lava Hound.

Lava Hound: An air tank. Some players usually have weak air defenses, and when they do, it's a guaranteed win (even against decks with PEKKA).

Golem: Nothing besides swarms, PEKKA, and the Infernos can stop it.
  • JcttehTheWiseJcttehTheWise Posts: 2,007Moderator
    IDProG wrote: »
    There are tank priorities that I made and follow for myself:

1. PEKKA
    2. Lava Hound
    3. Golem
    4. Mega Knight
    5. Goblin Giant
    6. Royal Giant
    7. Giant
    8. Giant Skeleton
    Those are the only ones that I consider "tanks".

If you have to choose between PEKKA and Lava Hound, if the choice is at the start of the draft, always choose PEKKA (you can pick some air defenses to counter Lava Hound later), if it's at the near end, look at your and the enemy's air defenses, and choose accordingly.

Why are PEKKA, Lava Hound, and Golem the top 3?

PEKKA: She simply counters every other tank besides Lava Hound.

Lava Hound: An air tank. Some players usually have weak air defenses, and when they do, it's a guaranteed win (even against decks with PEKKA).

Golem: Nothing besides swarms, PEKKA, and the Infernos can stop it.

It's just me or are you contradicting yourself here? You say you'd choose PEKKA over Lavahound because then you can pick air defense, but later you claim that usually players have weak air defense :thinking:
    Forum Moderator and hobbyish doodler
    y550ls9wbwod.png
    I like underused stuff...
  • IDProGIDProG Posts: 158Member
    It's just me or are you contradicting yourself here? You say you'd choose PEKKA over Lavahound because then you can pick air defense, but later you claim that usually players have weak air defense :thinking:

First, I said "usually". Not every player gets too carried away and forgets that they lack good air defenses.

Second, the "PEKKA over Lava Hound" thing does not apply to every cases. Only if you have to choose between PEKKA and Lava Hound AT THE START of the draft. Because you give the enemy a Lava Hound, you need some air defenses to counter it. That's why I said "You can pick some air defenses later".

Third, the "You win if the enemy has weak air defenses" only applies if you pick Lava Hound, not all tanks.