sup mates' ferrell34 here!
Today, i'd like to discuss about Touchdown mode in Clash Royale. I'll like to see the community's opinion about Touchdown mode on it's design and strategy. But before further ado, let's review what Touchdown is:
Source: Clash Royalepedia
Source: Clash Royale Wiki
Touchdown is a game mode in Clash Royale which is currently only available to play in Special Event Challenges.
- The main objective of Touchdown is to get any troop to the opposing side's end zone.
- There are no Crown Towers in Touchdown; the only way to earn Crowns is by getting troops to the enemies' end zone.
- As in regular gameplay, the players that have the most Crowns at the end of a 3-minute period will win the game. If both sides have an equal number of Crowns, an overtime period will last for 3 minutes or until one side earns a crown. The rules of Elixir generation are same as a regular 2v2 match, being doubled after two minutes. The Elixir regeneration speed is as fast as the regeneration in a regular 2v2 battle.
Of course, i also have my own opinion on Touchdown. Here's what i think about Touchdown:
I really like Touchdown mode's design. It feels like a brand new game and a good Live sensation, better than Normal mode that is. I also agree with the small team making Touchdown a special event challenge, which gives something special into it just like it was meant to. I think it doesn't need any change, or maybe more confetti and variative troops (as the audience) to make it more merrier.
Definitely the opposite of what i think of the Design, i don't like it that is. 2v2 Challenge is not a good addition into the game, SC should've recognized that there's 'solo' players in the game like me. I do know that i could just *not* play the challenge if i don't like it, but it feels like a slap on my face. Also, 1v1 Touchdown is pretty bad, maybe worse. SC has proven this on April Fools Day.
However, SC *does* try to make Touchdown a better mode. You can tell by their changes they made, such as improving the Draft system, Banning Broken Cards, Fixing Bugs and Giving more rewards. I have to admit, there were good tries but not enough. I mean not more, but what Touchdown really need is a rework.
2v2 Normal Mode Challenges sort of "worked" because of the consistency in strategy. I mean.. there are only 3 archetypes/ ways to destroy the tower in Normal mode: Beatdown, Siege and Cycle. Unlike Touchdown, where there is an unlimited possibilities of ways/ no strategy at all. So SC somehow have to make Touchdown's objective more stricted to make it more competitive.
Here are some things that pop in my head to make it more competitive:
1. Limiting the 'Touchdown' Area (to score)
. Right now, it requires any troop to cross the enemy line no matter where they are (x position). And i've been thinking.. what if the scoring area was limited? Like you can only score by passing the enemy line in the center of the arena. Of course, the backdraw of this is overdefending strategy but we could work that out by updating the draft system.
2. Configured Deck Mode (like Blind Deck Mode with Fixed Starting Hand but you can choose the Decks) instead of Draft
. The Draft System sure are better now, but there's still a problem and that problem doesn't come from the game but from the player. There are players who is "unexperienced" at choosing cards in Draft and that's really unbeneficial to him/her and his/her teammate. So, if there's no deck being superior than the other it will totally make the gameplay better. The only backdraw on this is.. who'll create the decks...
Anyway, this should be enough to summarize what all i'll have to say.
What do you mates think about Touchdown? Please leave in the comments below!
Have a nice day